Giant Panda

Native to south central China, the giant panda is instantly recognisable for its rounded bear features, unmistakable white fur and black patches over its eyes, ears and body. Considered docile towards humans, giant pandas spend their time roaming solo through bamboo forests of the Qinling Mountains and the hilly province of Sichuan where they communicate with one another by scratching and urinating on trees!

While they are in the same family as other bears such as brown, black, polar and sun bears, the giant panda is considered docile, with meat only making up less than 1% of their diet and bamboo making up the other 99%. Because they have no natural predators except for humans, they are active through all hours of the day and unlike other bears, they do not hibernate! 

Famous for their love able looks and personalities, pandas also serve as the logo of the World Wildlife Fund as they are among est the world’s most endangered species with the population of wild individuals estimated to be as low as 1,590. Although there are 266 pandas living in captivity, the giant panda population has decreased in the wild due to farming, deforestation and other developments, driving them out of the lowland areas where they once lived.


Founded in 1999, Pandas International are solely dedicated to saving the giant panda by working with Chinese research and conservation groups to provide funds and intervention where it is needed most. 

Director and co-founder of the non-profit organisation, Suzanne Braden, has personal relationships with Chinese officials and veterinarians who they work with to provide public awareness and education about giant pandas as well as providing assistance to giant panda centres, research support and habitat preservation.

Donations to the organisation will support panda research and conservation, as well as giving you the fun option to adopt a panda which will provide critical funds to keep your panda healthy and (importantly) well fed!